Excellent statistical and mathematical skills and ready to make the difference in this new function?
What’s your job?
As a Data Scientist you will be responsible for supporting our Commercial organisation, consisting of the sales, business planning & supply chain and outbound logistics departments. You do so with insights, gained from analysing company and, where applicable, external data. In this role your data-driven approaches will have a direct impact on the decision making in all of these areas.
You will be working with large data sets to find opportunities for product and process optimization and using advanced analytics (AA) techniques to test the effectiveness of different courses of action. You will need to be passionate about discovering solutions hidden in large data sets and working with stakeholders to improve business outcomes.
Tata Steel Europe is the second largest steel producer in Europe with a crude steel production capacity of over 12.1 Mil tonnes per year. We are one of the few steel operations that are fully integrated – from mining to the manufacturing and marketing of finished products. A typical project that you may work on is determining the right pricing strategy of our finished goods.
You will start by finding the right data sources needed for the analysis after you have discussed the exact requirements of your sales colleagues. The next step is to find valuable data insights and unexpected correlations, build and test AA models. Your deliver the results in a way that an account manager can realize higher prices for one of his customers. Visualizing and measuring the accuracy of the results in a dashboard, by using tools such as Spotfire, will be required.
Where will you stand within 3 years?
You have developed yourself as a professional. This opens opportunities to either continue your specialization and become a subject matter expert or pursue a career in any of the business fields or even management in the longer term.
- Exploring and implementing various AA algorithms that meet critical business needs and running them regularly to support decision making
- Building reproducible AA models and analysis in Python, R or other, that contribute to a growing and scalable platform for data science
- Diving deep into datasets to find valuable data insights and unexpected correlations
- Training and testing the AA models’ performance and visualising the outcomes to interpret the results in tools such as Spotfire
- Working with various teams to translate data and model results into strategic insights that are clear, accurate, relevant, understandable and applicable to the business needs
- Supporting capability development on AA application in the organisation
- Cooperating with external AA partners within and outside of the organisation
Is this you?
Please note we are based in IJmuiden in The Netherlands and we are not able to support relocation for this job.
- Master’s degree in Engineering, Statistics, Mathematics, Economics or an Applied Science, or equivalent practical experience
- You are a good communicator who is able to work directly with various stakeholders and is able to promote the application of AA in all Commercial functions and to network and build relationships across the organisation
- You have robust analytical skills and proven experience with using data to solve problems and find answers to complex business challenges
- You have strong technical knowledge in the data domain, in particular being able to use SQL, R, Python or other programming languages. You will know how to write clear, performant code that can be shared and reused amongst your peers
- You have thorough knowledge from both theory and practice on many data science areas such as advanced analytics, machine learning, statistics, data visualization, story-telling, model interpretation etc.
- You are self-motivated with a can-do attitude towards learning new skills and new tools and feel comfortable with digital innovation and agile ways of working
- Knowledge of Big Data eco systems (e.g. Hadoop/Spark) is a plus
What do we offer?
A unique role at a global player in the industry. A job where you will find everything to make your work as Data Scientist interesting.
You can also expect:
- A role in which you can be a company expert by bringing forth technological insights based on detailed research analyses. These insights are utilized in innovative processes and product development projects.
- Plenty of growth opportunities within Tata Steel
- Montly salary between €3.300,- to 5.900,- depending on background and experience
- Variable bonus, fixed end of the year bonus of 2% and 8% holiday allowance.
- Minimum of 26 vacation days and 11.5 days ADV.
- Excellent benefits including average salary scheme pension.
- One-year contract with a prospective of permanent contract
What’s your department?
As a Data Scientist you will be part of the Data Scientist Team, a competence service function within Reporting & Analytics (R&A). Reporting & Analytics (R&A) is a new function within Tata Steel Europe, driving the digitalisation with new tools and technologies and the application of big data and advanced analytics in the Commercial organisation. The function is critical for improving the supply chain performance, optimising the stock position, directing sales and customer service, and supporting marketing through a step change in the understanding of performance drivers and the application of leading-edge technologies.
R&A comprises of teams in the following functional areas, ensuring data consistency across Tata Steel Europe, supporting the growing needs for data management and analytics, as well as supporting Commercial steering:
- Information management, data governance and master data management
- Data engineering and reporting
- Advanced analytics and data science
- Business process management with Anaplan
- Reporting and analytics development
The capabilities of R&A are a source of competitive advantage for Tata Steel Europe now and in the future.