In the role of Data Engineer you will be a part of a recently launched initiative that focuses on delivering data platforms to the 80+ Operating Companies (OpCos) that make up Pon. You will be instrumental in building and delivering these platforms that will serve to make the OpCos more data-driven. See yourself as an internal consultant in this role. You’ll be responsible for automation, defining and setting up infrastructure, developing software and monitoring new and existing components of the data platforms you’re building.
Context and scope
The Insights Lab is part of the portfolio within the CIO Office of Pon Holdings. Together with the Datalab you will be reporting to the Director Data & Analytics. The Datalab is a central data science team focussing on the most advanced analysis possible. But, the data maturity within our OpCos differs tremendously and many steps still need to be made. There is a big demand for management reporting and data management across all business clusters while skills, focus and time are lacking within these companies. Therefore we created this role to support our companies in making these first steps. Just like the Datalab, the Insights Lab is a central data team, working for all OpCos and focusing on building data platforms and value creation out of data. An exciting opportunity to make a difference where you will join 2 other members of the team and will work closely together with the OpCos and the Datalab, while learning and working with state of the art data tools, continuously expanding your knowledge of these. As a Data Engineer you will report to the Senior DataOps Architect.
Your key responsibilities
- Determine what (cloud) services to use and consult the team on how to use these;
- Setting up, developing, maintaining and monitoring (cloud) services;
- Make sure that our solutions become highly maintainable and less error prone;
- Experiment with new (cloud) services that we can implement;
- Advise business about development and architecture regarding data.
- A strong analytical mind with problem solving skills;
- Able to work independently;
- Able to guide others and provide them with information, both verbally and through documentation;
- An optimist that makes things fun for others and her/himself;
- A confident communicator with written and verbal communication skills (Dutch and English);
- Willing to travel;
- An eager mindset and quick to spot opportunities and threats.
- At least a Bachelor of Science (e.g. Computer Science, Programming/Systems) or equivalent work experience (0-2 years);
- Experience with AWS services, Azure, Google Cloud or equivalent services;
- Experience with Python;
- Experience with database handling (e.g. SQL, NoSQL)
- Experience with Git;
- Willingness to learn;
- A ‘don’t talk, just do’ attitude.
Nice to have
- Experience with CI/CD pipelines (e.g. Github Actions, Bitbucket Pipelines, Jenkins, Travis, GitLab);
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC), for example Terraform or AWS CloudFormation;
- Experience with data visualization software (e.g. Tableau, PowerBI, Qlik, Data Studio)
What we offer
- The ability to bring your own ideas to the table and transform them to real world applications
- A competitive salary between €3,000 – €4,000, based on experience/knowledge
- Mobile phone (iPhone) and laptop (MacBook)
- Personal discount on Pon’s own products and services with a maximum of €500 per year
- Plenty of room for personal development and education
- Ability to work remotely for 1 or 2 days
- The option to join Pon Fit-activities like, bootcamps, cycling tours, and running events
Pon is one of the largest family-run businesses in the Netherlands and is an international trading and service company, engaged in a wide range of activities. Pon employs over 14.000 people at over 450 locations across 32 countries. Pon constantly strives to achieve the highest possible added value in the relationship between customer and manufacturer. This is based on high-quality products supplied by leading manufacturers, including Volkswagen, Porsche, Caterpillar, MAN, Gazelle and Swapfiets. Pon also offers complementary services, such as maintenance, repair, leasing, rental and insurance.